Pekatahi Bridge

A complete overhaul on the deck of the Pekatahi Bridge started with closure from February – June 2017. The existing road and rail shared deck was removed and replaced with a wider, solid timber structure. The bridge is heavily relied on by local community and heavy transport as the shortest access route through the Eastern Bay.

Trusted supply of our Weka SG8 and Weka No.1 Wet range was used for this complete project, incorporating 500+ m3 of custom sizes and cut-to-length requests. ATS Timber worked closely with BECA in preliminary designs before commencement. Once underway the project was closely monitored through the main contractor, Downer, along with one of our Approved Resellers from Tauranga, to bring this to completion.

Dave Burns, Project Manager worked with us throughout this project and after completion he made the following comments to ATS.

I worked with the ATS Timber during the construction of the Pekatahi Bridge near Whakatane. I found the team to be very knowledgeable, professional and able to help problem solve when issues arose during the project.

The majority of the timber supplied  was of custom sizes and lengths, which was supplied on time, but sometimes when requested by us not in the agreed delivery sequence.

We had great lines of communication which were open and honest, we knew how the supply was progressing and when we were to receive the materials on site.

The ATS timber team were solutions focused which helped us produce a quality product which was completed ahead of time.

On the opening day 16th June 2017, NZTA made the following release.

Bay of Plenty Highways Manager, Niclas Johansson, says the Transport Agency would like to thank the community for their patience while work continued on Pekatahi Bridge.

“We would like to say a big thank you to the community for sticking with us while this important decking project was completed. We are aware of some of the effects it had on peoples’ lives but we are now pleased to announce it is open.”

ATS Timber is very glad to achieve this outcome along with the other teams involved, with the new bridge giving better access to Taneatua and another project we were part of – the Tuhoe Building.

Kurow Bridge Replacements, Waitaki

Work on new bridges to replace the 132 year-old two single lane bridges (256m and 140m long) across the Waitaki River on SH82 at Kurow started in March 2013. The first of new bridges on the Kurow side of the river opened in April 2014 followed in early June, by the second new bridge on the Hakataramea side of the river. The entire project including the removal of the old bridges, is expected to be completed in late 2014.

These bridges will greatly improve route security along SH82 between Kurow and Waimate and protect a vital link between Kurow and the Hakataramea Valley, which has existed since the current bridges opened in 1881.

Trusted Weka SG8 and Weka No.1 products were supplied through one of our Approved Resellers in Oamaru and Timaru working with the main contractor Downer.

Not only does the replacement bridges enable local people to walk or cycle safely between the two communities but it also supports the tourism industry by providing a safe passagew

Clifden Suspension Bridge Restoration

The Clifden Suspension bridge spans 111.5 metres over the Waiau River, and is the longest suspension bridge in New Zealand.

Settlers depended on a ferry to get stock and supplies across this dangerous river. By the early 1890s the Government funded a punt attached to a wire rope until the bridge was built in 1898-99 taking ten months to complete. It was opened on 5 April 1899 by Sir Joseph Ward.

Southland County Engineer C H Howorth designed the bridge anchoring the cables into limestone deposits. The tapering towers are 7.5 metres high, the steel cables weigh 28 tonnes and the decking and beams are made from heart totara. The bridge is 3.5 metres wide, and acted as a single lane bridge for horse-drawn traffic although traction engines were soon towing lime and wool over it. Trucks and cars traversed it from the 1920s and it remained in use until 1978 when the current bridge was opened downstream.

This is a category 1 Historic Place – New Zealand Historic Places Trust.

Extensive repair work was undertaken and it was reopened in November 2013 after being closed in 2010 due to its deterioration. The work undertaken by Fulton Hogan and managed by OPUS International on behalf of NZHPT included replacement of bridge bearers, transoms and decking. Maintenance of the suspension ropes, and replacement of bolts and steel bridge bracing was also undertaken. The total cost of the project was $470,000 and was supported through donations from people throughout New Zealand.

ATS Timber was chosen as the preferred timber supplier to this iconic project in conjunction with one of our Approved Resellers in Invercargill and the contractor Fulton Hogan. We also collaborated with engineers to come up with a viable solution to the unique requirements. Trusted Weka SG8 H5 timber products were supplied to replace the deck timbers, transoms, stringers and handrails to bring the icon back to its former glory.

See more http://www.westernsouthland.co.nz/pages/viewentity.php?entity=379

http://www.ipenz.org.nz/heritage/itemdetail.cfm?itemid=2347

http://www.ipenz.org.nz/heritage/documents/Clifden%20Suspension%20Bridge%20report%20(560%20KB).pdf

http://www.stuff.co.nz/southland-times/news/8056324/Work-starts-on-Clifden-bridge